Today’s guest post is by Rajdeep Paulus, YA author and Instagrammer extraordinaire.
Instagram is, in my opinion, the simpler, user-friendly version of Pinterest, and with a smartphone, it’s truly faster and easier to post pics all day long. The Selfie became Classic with Instagram. But like all the Social Media sites, Instagram filters as you like and interact with certain users. And that is my biggest hang-up with all of Social Media. Sometimes I feel like the creators of these programs are trying to brainwash me into thinking I need to pay attention to only certain friends and followers. Meanwhile, I’m missing out on some big news or fun pics from a friend I run into later that day. Now that my disclaimers are out of the way, if you’re a Young Adult Author, you MUST get an Instagram account. All the teens I know still use Facebook and Twitter, but the majority of their minutes are spent on Tumblr and Instagram. With the easy two-tap Like option, it’s no wonder!
Here are my TOP TEN ways to show some Instagram Love to your favorite authors:
- Follow the author on Instagram.
- Post a cover shot of the author’s book(s) and hashtag the cover name, genre, topics in the book, and fun tags like #mustread, #lovedit, #couldnotputdown, etc. TAG the author (similar to Twitter).
- Post pics of you reading the book in a fun place or with a coffee mug in your hand or with a bunch of crumpled up Kleenex surrounding you. Hashtag #tearjerker, #bepreparedtocryyoureyesout, and other fun phrases that give your followers a sense of what kind of ride they’re in for. Be sure to Tag @authorname.
- ALWAYS Tag the Author Name and Encourage your friends to “FOLLOW” said author.
- Post a book-reading Meme that describes an author’s book, i.e., Best Books I’ve Read Ever. Invite Followers to add to the list and tag the authors they love. Or Use fun Picture Quotes Sites like LiveLuvCreate.com and post your favorite quotes from the book. And Hashtag the title. Tag the author.
- When an author runs a Giveaway with fun Book Swag, post a pic of the stuff! Hashtag titles, #bookswag, #IWon, #GotTheGoods, etc., and tag your sweet author who sent you fantabulous stuff.
- What I love most about Instagram is that you can SHARE the pics on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook in a one shot dealio click. Follow the prompt on the bottom right of the posted pic.
- As an author, you can post an Instagram Challenge. For example, I asked my readers to post a picture of “Stones” (any fun stones … but one of the stones had to be BLUE) and add the Hashtag #SeeingThroughStones. It was one more way for readers to enter a Giveaway. As a reader you can post pictures of Hollywood actors who you think would be perfect for characters, scenes from the location of the book, or even a tasty food pic of your favorite character’s daily menu. Hashtag character names, titles, and the author.
- REPOST a Cover of a Book you love to support the author, especially when the book is newly out or just about to launch. There are REPOST Apps you can download that will make sure you give credit to the original person who posted. Or take a screenshot, but make sure to include the top part that shows who posted it first. The Key: Give Credit Always.
- Readers can post short video clips reading from their favorite parts or doing a 10 sec commercial or 7 secs when it comes to Using Vine. The limited length makes Instagram vids more likely to be watched and it also tests your creativity! And that’s the best part about Instagram… It’s a chance for anyone to be a photographer, a movie producer, an artist and a writer!! #happyposting #nowgoforthandinstagramme #yougitthis #InstagramLove #authorlove #MakeUpAFunHashtagInTheComments 🙂
And, on behalf of all the authors out there, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing our books and titles with your friends. Word of mouth and word on the street have become word on the smartphone and word on Social Media Street. And we appreciate every post, Share, and Like you put out there for us. 🙂
Rajdeep Paulus is the author of Swimming Through Clouds and Seeing Through Stones, is mommy to four princesses, wife of Sunshine, a coffee-addict and a chocoholic. As of this June 2013, she’s a Tough Mudder. To find out more, visit her website or connect with her via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram.
©2014 Rajdeep Paulus